Pages

Thursday 21 April 2011

A Toad in the Toilet

There is nothing dear blogger more able to guarantee constipation than having a toad in your toilet! I speak with authority on the matter after my recent visit to Ratanakiri Province in the far NE of Cambodia my knowledge about matters toad are limited but I am reliably informed that from my description of this creature who insisted on spending the entire 5 days in or around our toilet it was likely to have been a banana tree frog all I can say is that its time would have been better spent with the bananas rather than in trying to get to acquainted with my nether regions.

Toads apart my visit to Ratanakiri was fantastic one of my best pals Janet a teacher is placed up there with her husband David played mine hosts for almost the whole trip and fine ones they were too. I together with 3 fellow volunteer travelled to Ratanakiri by service bus from Phnom Penh an 11 hour trip in total but time passed very quickly as we travelled through many Provinces Towns and Villages before reaching our destination which is very close to the Vietnam border. The country side was extremely interesting and varied a village barely touched since French colonial days which for some reason unknown was left untouched by the Khmer Rouge.
We encountered the usual hazards on the roads including chickens cows oxen small children on bicycles and every thing but the kitchen sink being carried on motto's.Sadly we saw the remains of several RTA's both coming and going the roads here can be treacherous as I have already documented on several occasions.
We arrived at "Tree tops" our home for 4 nights this is an Eco lodge comprised basic but comfortable log cabins/bungalows and contrary to what I understood we did have electricity and even toilet paper I shared one of their new mosquito proof bungalows with Chris which was set into a hillside surrounded by tropical fruit trees in particular cashew and jack fruit which were growing in profusion the sound if cicadas and other fauna was deafening  especially at night.
We had a veranda with I have to say a very comfortable line in hammocks!which was put to very good use over our stay (photo to follow)
The next day we met up with Janet and Dave who took us by motto to Boeng Yeak Laom a volcanic lake said to be a perfect circle and been in existence for 700,000 years.We walked the circumference and then spent a good part of the day swimming in the cool clean and very beautiful water.We were however the entertainment for the many Cambodians who were there celebrating Khmer New Year
In the afternoon it rather resembled Brighton beach on bank holiday Monday so we escaped the crowds and went in search of the Cambodian equivalent of high tea we were not disappointed the banana cake was fab!!
That evening Janet made a curry and invited all of us for dinner we had a great time thanks both.
The following day we returned to our lake for more swimming then in the afternoon we were invited to Narin  Janet's translator's house blessing ceremony.
This was a fantastic opportunity to share a glimpse of life in  Ratanakiri Narin had built the house himself and he was justifiably proud of it. 4 Monks from the local Wat came to bless it and it was a very moving but simple ceremony followed by a big party.
During the afternoon we visited local waterfalls but due to it being the dry season there was not a lot of water to fall only a lot of people and rubbish sadly!!
The following day we said our goodbyes to Wendy and Janet as they had other fish to fry and Chris Eileen and myself set off for the day to do a jungle trek organised by tour guide Narin (Yes Janet's translator) everyone has at least two jobs here in Cambodia.
For those of you who know me well I dare say that you are finding it difficult to believe that I would do such a rash thing and who could blame you for me a 10 mile trek through a tropical jungle represents extreme sport! but I did it slowly and not without incident but I did it.
We had a local Tampoon ranger who led the way and Narin spent a lot of time showing us the flora and fauna and explaining how the authorities were trying to support and encourage the indigenous people to care for the land particularly the trees as illegal logging is a big problem so that they can make a living from tourists and others who visit.
It was fascinating to see how the people lived we visited their houses which have changed little in centuries many now use mosquito nets and water filters but many still live very simply with almost all their belongings made from the land I learned a lot and it made me think very much about our very materialistic society and what is important
No trip to the provinces would be complete though without a journey from hell our return journey did not disappoint we decided to take a mini bus as it would be quicker despite buying 5 tickets we only had 4 seats great fun my sciatic nerve will never be the same again!!!!!! but the trip was worth it
Boeng Yeak Laom Banlung Cambodia
A big thank you to Janet  David Narin and my companions Chris Eileen and Wendy for making it such a great visit.

Well I guess its Easter over in the motherland I want to wish you all a very happy peaceful and sunny Easter no hint of an egg over here so enjoy!
Lea Howie
Kath

No comments:

Post a Comment