Pages

Wednesday 24 November 2010

Tragedy Hits Phnom Penh During Water Festival


Some of the magnificent boats at the start of the water festival


Me in my very baggy britches watching the boatrace from a very posh marquee

some of VSO's boat crew
Dear All
There is no way that I could start a new blog without making reference to the most horrendous incident to hit Phnom Penh for some time and particularly in view of the many texts and e mails enquiring about my safety it is really good and heartening to know that so many people care thanks to every one.
At the time of the bridge tragedy I was on a short break to Mondulkiri with 5 friends we had decided to leave the heat and crowds of the capital and head for cooler and quieter climes.
The first I heard about the incident was when David text me about the incident which was on the news in the UK before I got to hear about it.He knew that I was going away but wasn't sure for how long so I was able to reassure him that I was OK
I was then contacted by VSO's in country Director Alice who was verifying that all volunteers in Cambodia could be accounted for so thanks to her and the team too.
The Water Festival is Cambodia's most spectacular event which in effect is a very big boat race with varying size long boats some carrying as many as 60 men competing in different categories of races. The boats come from towns and Provinces all over Cambodia for the 3 day festival to race it is very prestigious for the winners. VSO has a boat much to the amusement of the locals but rarely if ever gets further than the first heat so I was in PP on the first day of the race which was Saturday.
It was the most fantastic day I watched some of the races including the VSO boat and cheered on my many pals who paddled their hearts out.
The atmosphere in the city was great and the crowds were well managed I even ventured out in the evening to watch the splendid fireworks over the river.The crowds were big though and I lost my friends but as I live near the river was able to make my way home.It was great to see families together having a good time so it was such a shock to learn of the tragic events 2 days later.
In Mondulkiri I was discussing the incident with a young waiter at the nature lodge he said it was like Khmer Rouge times which he doesn't remember and just goes to show that the past never goes away for these lovely people and it is such a shame that their main festival will be blighted possibly for years to come.
Well lets hope not but if you can please spare a thought for the 500 dead / injured here in Phnom Penh and their families.
In my next blog I will definitely be telling you about Midwives and my work here in Cambodia
"Lea Hei"
Kath   

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kath, thank goodness you are ok. I wondered if you had been drafted in to help in any way.Thank you for your news and take care.
    Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dianne thanks for this and also for your recent letter I really appreciate getting them
    love Kath

    ReplyDelete