Pages

Wednesday 18 August 2010

Kath in Cambodia

I can hardly believe that it is only two days before I leave for Cambodia the last 9 months since I retired after 38 years in the NHS have just flown by in a haze of activity.
In December 2009 I applied to Voluntary Service Overseas (VSO)  and after completing endless application forms assessment days  training, interviews ,medicals and more vaccinations than you can shake a stick at I am ready for my big adventure.
Oh and I forgot should have mentioned the fund raising! VSO is a charity and asks its volunteers to raise £900 easy peasy Thanks to all my pals at work in the NHS and Universities of Yorkshire I raised over £1,000 in lieu of retirement presents and a further £1000 was raised at my super duper garden party Buckingham Palace was nothing compared with mine.It was made very special by many of my pals and family who baked and brought cakes and goodies in addition to manning stalls and serving tea to silver service standard .
It was a beautiful day highlighted by the singing from Vocal Expressions women's choir I am very proud to be a member.
On the 1st of September I fly from Heathrow to Bangkok then on to Cambodia a 15 hour flight in total

CAMBODIA


Cambodia is one of the poorest countries in South East Asia and faces huge challenges related to poverty corruption and growing inequality.
Cambodia's troubled past has seen the destruction of all public sector infrastructure and services including health. After the Pol Pot regime less than 50 doctors remained alive in the whole country and no resources including drugs to support their practice
Some  health facts
  • 35% of the population live below the poverty line
  • Cambodian health indicators are amongst the poorest in SE Asia life expectancy for men and women is 58/64 respectively
  • 1 in every 12 children dies before the age of 5
  • 1 woman in every 212 giving birth dies
VSO in CAMBODIA

VSO has worked in Cambodia since 1990 VSO is an international development charity that works through volunteers to fight global poverty and disadvantage its mantra is Sharing Skills Changing Lives
VSO is one of many volunteering and development organisations in Cambodia and it is working in 3 domains Health Education and Livelihood's.
To find out more about VSO go to http://www.vso.org.uk/

I will be working for the Cambodian Midwives Association (CMA) in a capacity building role.
I believe that Midwives are crucial to reducing the high infant and maternal mortality rates in Cambodia  which incidentally have not reduced since 2000. I will be based in the capital Phnom Penh the CMA office is situated in the Ministry for Health




As preparation I have visited the midwife led birthing unit at Huddersfield Royal Infirmary and spent the day with Pam a community midwife in order to get a bit more orientated and I must thank Pam Kirsty,David Jo and Mary for their great hospitality and sharing their knowledge with me.
I have a great network of supporters now including the RCM ,RCN and Universities in Yorkshire and some senior midwives in practice who are willing to act as advisers and lets face it I am going to need all the help I can get. So thanks to every one.

Saying my goodbyes has been the most difficult part so far


Kath
  

4 comments:

  1. Very best of luck Kath ,looking forward to following your adventures.Hope there are going to be lots of pictures -speaking of which ,you don't look any older.Life's not fair!
    Colleen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Kath, I hope this is a successful attempt to communicate with you, as you well know my technical skills are sadly lacking. We returned from Greece on Sunday and my thoughts were with you as your adventure began. I suspect the last few days before you left, the journey and your first days in Cambodia will be the hardest part of the whole experience. I will be tracking you and look forward, so much to hearing your news. Hope this reaches you and if so please let me know so I can extend my next contact. Take care. Dianne

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kath

    Trying out a comment. Hope all is well. V & D xxx

    ReplyDelete