Pages

Sunday 12 September 2010

First impressions of Cambodia

This is the first opportunity I have had to provide an update since arriving in Cambodia so I will use this time to share with you my first impressions of this fascinating frustrating but wonderful country.
On arriving in Phnom Penh the first thing to hit you is the heat it is hot hot hot and very humid I am wet through most of the time not a pleasant sight I can assure you!
The next attack on the senses was the traffic coming at you from all sides and angles tuk tuk's moto dops (cycles to you and me) large Lexus 4x4's what a menace they are carts and lorries with no observance of any kind of highway code whatsoever. Its every man for himself rest assured there is no way that I will be riding a motor cycle around this city A bike may be a possibility but only very early on a Sunday morning
I have to say that I have suffered from homesickness but am much better now I have had fantastic support from my fellow volunteers there are 16 of us in total 4 of whom are accompanying partners. We hale form the UK Holland ,Ireland The Phillipines and Uganda most are teachers there are just 2 of us in health myself and a young paediatrician who will be working in Stung Treng province a super young man half way through his specialty training he will be a great asset to the women and children's health programme his skills are very much needed.
I will tell you about every one as the blog progresses and as I report our doings
VSO has been very good here in Cambodia they have provided accomodation not exactly the ritz but OK and we have had an excellent induction programme. There are some superb and very cheap restaurants here where you can eat well and safely even on a volunteer allowance
I have to find accomodation in PP in the next 3 weeks and for my first 6 months I would prefer to be somewhere near to other volunteers until I really find my feet so keep your fingers crossed.
I have met up with Susan who has been caretaking my post for the last few  months and she has given me an insight into the challenges more of these later as I have to close now
In my next post I will include photos of my group as well as some of the history of Cambodia to give you more context about the challenges this country faces
Bye for now
PS Thanks to Collen and Dianne for your comments it was great to read them .........Kath

2 comments:

  1. It sounds fascinating Kath.I'm sure if you can circumnavigate around Valetta/Malta in a clapped out mini without a sign post in site,having barely passed your test,getting around PP will be a piece of cake!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My God Colleen that's a long time ago and I have to say I remember it well I think I still have the scars!!
    I have managed to ride a bike in Kampong Cham and have only skittled two pedestrians so far but counting people now clear the streets at 1pm when I am going to class
    Kath

    ReplyDelete