Pages

Thursday 7 October 2010

House Hunting in Phnom Penh

I  was warned by a very good pal not to rush into finding accomodation in PP I now know how very wise that advice was.
VSO is a great help in many ways and recommends an estate agent who takes you around to view propeties  in Cambodia you don't go armed with a bunch of glossy brochures you hop on the back of a motor scooter and get shown all the properties no one else wants.
Yes... you heard correctly I had to hop on the back of a motor scooter I have never been so frightened in my life my legs were shaking so much the bike was bumping down the road however I soon got used to it after my ninth viewing !! I was jumping on and off like a young skcoprill.
Most  of the  properties I saw were dire some were very dirty smelly down dark alley ways or over noisy barsone was at the top of perpendicular stairway and worse still several had onle a spiral staircase as the only means of access.There does not seem to be any regard for any kind of fire or building regulations.
Then my luck changed my buddy recommended another estate agent and the first place he showed me was completely different it was in a popular tourist st above an art shop and is opposite PP's national museum which has the most beautiful ornate roof one of the few buildings to survive the ravages of war and Pol Pot. If I stand on tip toe I can see the Mekong river and also the top of the Royal Palace an added bonus is that there are some nice places to eat nearby.
The apartment is on the first floor so hopefully that will deter rodents and comprises a large kitchen area though completely bare except for a fridge and a double gas burner a large bedroom and lounge plus bathroom so not a palace but light and airy.The landlord who seems like a very nice man has agreed to give it a fresh coat of paint and get me a desk plus chair and a sofa so I should be very comfortable there.
The agent told me that he had another "single" Engish speaking lady client in the same block so I will seek her out when I have moved in.I get the keys on the 20th
Picture to follow when I am back in PP..................Kath
PS Thanks to all who have made comments on my blog reading them is almost as exciting as getting a letter!!!!     

1 comment: