Pages

Monday 7 March 2011

"The Visit"

There is nothing dear blogger more able to gladden the heart of lowly volunteer than to get a visit from someone back home just to hear another northern accent is heartening [sorry Danny but Scottish just does not quite do it!] and so imagine my excitement when along with my pal Chris on the 18th of February I met up with Viv and Jim Howard where? Phnom Penh Raffles hotel cocktail bar no less. Viv and Jim were en route to see Angkor Watt Temples having visited their son in Hongkong and done some serious chilling out in other parts of Asia.
Viv is a choir chum [Vocal expressions] and it was great to catch up on all the gossip oops I mean news ! and to hear all about 'the doings' in Holmfirth Chris and Jim got on like a house on fire whilst Viv and I caught up.
We were forced into having a couple of Raffles special cocktails well one cannot be unsociable on these occasions and as Viv and Jim had only ventured out into PP briefly and were soon frightened back in doors at the thought of crossing the road (and who could blame them ) Chris and I took them out for dinner to a very nice Khmer restaurant by the river which had Aspara dancers and a very jolly French wedding party going on. They had their first tuk tuk drive and a good time was had by all.
The next day I collected them again by tuk tuk with Hak's brother doing the honors this time he took us on a tour of the city stopping off at the Royal Palace and then on to refreshments at The Foreign Correspondents Club after that we had a tour of my apartment which overlooks the national museum.
The heat at this time was at its worst so the choice was visit museum for more artifacts and culture or lunch and a dip in Raffles pool I will leave it to you to guess all I can say is Raffles do a very nice line in chips!!!!
As Viv and Jim were leaving early the next morning to fly to Siem Reap and after afternoon tea (what else) we said our fond farewells.
Viv and Jim thank you so much for being my first visitors it was a great privilege to show you PP and also thank you for your generosity in sharing a part of your holiday with me you will never know how much it meant.
In my next blog will update you on my second visit and will include updates from the clinic and other stories
Lea Howie!! all
Kath




PS For some reason I cannot download any photo's of my visit will keep trying

No comments:

Post a Comment