Pages

Wednesday 15 June 2011

Stung Treng Where?..........

Stung Treng Province
Last week I took matters into my own hands in relation to finding out more about how maternal and newborn health care is delivered in the far reaches of Cambodia waiting to go out and about with CMA members was clearly not going to happen I have tried many times already and been thwarted every time.
The dedicated follower of these musings will recall that several of 'my group' are placed in Stung Treng which is in the North East of Cambodia on the border with Lao. Ingran a young ra......paediatrician and Jan and Thea from Holland working in education I had made a long standing promise when we parted in October to visit them in situ and there are a couple of new volunteers there now Wendy a hospital management advisor and Angela (and her husband Chris) have recently started a new placement there. Angela is a midwife of long standing and has forgotten more about midwifery than I will ever know she is there as midwifery advisor to the referral hospital and 7/8 surrounding health centres some of which are very remote indeed and can only be reached by boat.
As I had little to do at CMA I would kill two birds with one stone and go on a field visit as it is known in NGO land and see at first hand the challenges of delivering maternal and child health services in one of the remoter and poorer provinces
I travelled by minibus an experience in itself let me explain the procedure when you ring to book in English someone rings you back and tells you to be awake by 3am in my case I got another phone call at 4am to say they would pick me up in 10mins 40 Min's later they arrived I was bundled somewhat unceremoniously into a mini van occupying the middle seat which is very hard with no proper backrest or seat belt (don't tell my husband) and when you have lost as much padding as I have on the old derriere a 7 hour journey is a long time.However my fellow passengers were quite friendly and seemed to appreciate my faltering attempts at K'mai which caused great hilarity but looked after me throughout the journey.
I arrived at Jan and Thea's at about 11 as it was Sunday I spent a very enjoyable day with them in their home a little corner of Holland they have created. Thea is the most incredible cook and even made fried eggs and tomatoes taste amazing we caught up on all our news it was just such a relaxing time which was good as the next two days were to prove quite taxing in more ways than one............... 
Town of Stung Treng

1 comment:

  1. You'll need to finish this Kath.. and tell us about the next two days!

    I'm still not settled yet back here... reading your blog makes it worse!!

    I hope everything goes well with your special visitors this month, Sally and David.

    Take care

    Danny

    ReplyDelete