Pages

Tuesday 21 September 2010

Learning Khmer Language

"Sus'a'day" all my UK buddies week two of my language course and I have to say I am really enjoying it. We work Monday to Saturday 1:30 to 5 as I am in the afternoon class this means that I am cycling to school in the hottest part of the day it reached 39o C yesterday which I can assure you is quite hot enough for me.
The only part of language training I do not like is the cycle ride I am not good on a bike and have managed to fall off once already and to skittle two pedestrians I have been chased by a pack of wild dogs on the only day I decided to cycle on my own  but I will master it!!!
Here are a couple of pictures of our class and Dara our teacher who is brilliant
I would never have beleived that I would be able to make up short sentences and make myself understood in the market and restaurants in such a short time
I go to the same place for coffee/lunch every day and one of the young waiters there has taken me on (probably as a personal challenge) and speaks K'mai to me
Lei' Hei'  Kath

Next to me is Dave my surrogate son he is going to work in livelihood projects forestry and fishing Andre' behind and Daniel behind him he is a teacher from Uganda.Across from Daniel is John from Ireland who is doing a similar job to mine but with the Cambodian Teachers Association and on the front row Janet a head teacher and Dave her husband. 
Our teacher Dara at the front

2 comments:

  1. Hello Kath, great to see you and hear your news. You look well and happy. Take care on that bike, it is not you I am concerned about but the population of Cambodia with your cycling skills ! The golden girls are meeting next month, your blog will be the centre of our conversations I have no doubt.
    Take care
    Dianne
    x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Dianne
    Thanks so much I enjoy writing it as it is a diversion from learning Khmer which is very hard keep tuning in am back in PP on a placement week and house hunting so keep fingers crossed
    Love
    Kath

    ReplyDelete